Sunday, October 12, 2008

Transatlanticism Much?

You know how sometimes you wake up in a bed and you're disoriented for a few seconds, trying to remember which side the wall is on and what day it is?

Wouldn't you think you were in D.C. if you saw that? No such luck. It's Phoenix Park, in northwest Dublin.

Being in D.C. sounds pretty good right about now. Anywhere but on this island, really. We're all getting cabin fever, I think --- but if we can survive midterm week, we'll be set for fall break, finally! It should be amazing. We're flying early Friday morning from Dublin to Barcelona, then spending five days there, then off to Florence, Rome, and Venice. I'm open and enthusiastic about any suggestions you have for me --- where must I eat? what can't I miss? what should I bring you back?

3 comments:

Cathie Schorn said...

What a beautiful moon.

Great photo, Monica!

Mama

Anonymous said...

Italia!
I'm so jealous, there is an amazing restaurant we went to in Venice, and I have the card for it somewhere, so I'll try and find that for you and let you know. Also, our professor took us to one of his friends houses while we were in Venice. His name is Tony Green and he is a painter/musician who is cool and weird. Not that I am going to have you go talk to him, but thats just a total side note.
Venetian glass is beautiful, and necklaces aren't too expensive or bulky, if you are looking for easy things for yourself. (I wanted to get them for you Sarah and me, but I thought I would be going back to Venice, so I didn't get them the first time, and never got to go back!) This way, you can pick out the one you like best, and think of me anyway. haha I'll get you something super cool from St. Mary's county. Actually, I think I'm going to make everyone's christmas presents this year. So you will get something lovely!
Ok now I am not commenting, I am messaging, so I will stop.
Just make sure you stop in a coffeeshop in Venice and have a couple capuccino's and a brioche! If its cold and rainy, the capuccino tastes even more like heaven.
ciao bella!!!

Anonymous said...

"You know how sometimes you wake up in a bed and you're disoriented for a few seconds, trying to remember which side the wall is on and what day it is?"

Proust has an extended passage on this right at the beginning of Swann's Way. Most of us more prosaic types orient ourselves by the alarm clock, which also tell us all we need to know about the day--it's a weekday.